I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University. As a member of Center for Language and Speech Processing, I'm currently involved in research on neural machine translation. Yet personally, I'm interested in problems of different categories in the field of natural language processing. My advisor is Philipp Koehn.
Before joining Johns Hopkins, I got my Bachelor's degree in Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications. During the last year of my undergraduate study, I worked with Weiwei Sun in the Language Computing and Web Mining Group of Institute of Computer Science & Technology, Peking University, with a focus on semantic parsing and Chinese word segmentation.
- Sep 2018: Our Interspeech 2018 paper won the best student paper award!
- Sep 2018: I'm presenting our paper on Data Augmentation for End-to-End ASR in Interspeech 2018 in Hyderabad International Convention Center, Hall 4/5/6, Poster Area 1, Poster Board #1 at 14:00-16:00, Sep 5th.
- 600.465: Natural Language Processing
- 600.475: Machine Learning
- 600.468: Machine Translation
- 600.676: Machine Learning: Data to Models
- 050.620: Syntax I
- 600.615: Big Data, Small Languages, Scalable Systems
- 550.661: Nonlinear Optimization I
- 600.420: Parallel Programming
- Fall 2017: Graduate Teaching Assistant, EN.600.468/601.668 Machine Translation. Checkout the neural network and NMT homework I designed.
- Spring 2017: Guest Lecture, EN.600.435 Artificial Intelligence -- Markov Decision Process
- Spring 2016: Guest Lecture, EN.600.468 Machine Translation -- Syntax-Based Models
- Multi-Modal Data Augmentation for End-to-end ASR | Adithya Renduchintala, Shuoyang Ding, Matthew Wiesner, Shinji Watanabe, Interspeech 2018 [pdf] | Best Student Paper Award (3/700+)
- The JHU Machine Translation Systems for WMT 2017 | Shuoyang Ding, Huda Khayrallah, Philipp Koehn, Matt Post, Gaurav Kumar, and Kevin Duh, WMT 2017 [pdf]
- The JHU Machine Translation Systems for WMT 2016 | Shuoyang Ding, Kevin Duh, Huda Khayrallah, Philipp Koehn, and Matt Post, WMT 2016 [pdf]
- Grammatical Relations in Chinese:GB-Ground Extraction and Data-Driven Parsing | Weiwei Sun, Yantao Du, Xin Kou, Shuoyang Ding, Xiaojun Wan, ACL 2014 [pdf]
- Improving End-to-end Speech Recognition with Pronunciation-assisted Sub-word Modeling | Hainan Xu, Shuoyang Ding, Shinji Watanabe, 2018 [pdf]
- How Do Source-side Monolingual Word Embeddings Impact Neural Machine Translation? | Shuoyang Ding and Kevin Duh, 2018 [pdf]
- Backstitch: Counteracting Finite-sample Bias via Negative Steps | Yiming Wang, Hossein Hadian, Shuoyang Ding, Ke Li, Hainan Xu, Xiaohui Zhang, Daniel Povey, Sanjeev Khudanpur, 2017 [pdf]