Johns Hopkins University, HLTCOE
Stieff Building / 810 Wyman Park Drive
Baltimore, MD 21211-2840, USA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org where x=kevinduh
Hi! I am a senior research scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Human Language Technology Center of Excellence (HLTCOE). I am also an assistant research professor in the Department of Computer Science and a member of the Center for Language and Speech Processing (CLSP). Previously, I was assistant professor at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology (2012-2015) and research associate at NTT CS Labs (2009-2012). I received my B.S. in 2003 from Rice University, and PhD in 2009 from the University of Washington, both in Electrical Engineering. My research interests lie at the intersection of Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning, in particular on areas relating to machine translation, semantics, and deep learning.
My recent projects include: (a) representation learning for words and sentences, (b) neural sequence-to-sequence models and their extensions for machine translation, information extraction, and search (c) multi-objective optimization for fast, small, and accurate deep learning models. I'm fortunate to have great collaborators.
- Current Ph.D. students: Pamela Shapiro, Shuo Sun, Sheng Zhang (co-advised with Ben Van Durme)
- Current M.S. students: Sachith Kothur, Weicheng Zhang, Xuan Zhang
- Qualifying projects / collaboration for fun: Huda Khayrallah, Gaurav Kumar, Ryan Cotterell, Dingquan Wang, Nanyun Peng, Pushpendre Rastogi, Rachel Rudinger, Chandler May, Keisuke Sakaguchi, Shuoyang Ding, Tongfei Chen, David Synder, Shota Sasaki (Tohoku University)
- Previous Ph.D. graduates: Hiroki Ouchi (now at RIKEN), Fei Cheng (now at NII), Xiaoyi Wu, Frances Yung (now at Saarland University), Masashi Tsubaki (now at AIST), Xiaodong Liu (now at Microsoft), Yanyan Luo (now at Baidu)
Selected Publications [click here for full list, or Google scholar profile]:
- Neural Lattice Search for Domain Adaptation in MT (IJCNLP2017)
- Ordinal Common-sense Inference (TACL2017)
- MT/IE: Cross-lingual Open Information Extraction with Neural Sequence-to-Sequence Models (EACL2017)
- Automated structure discovery of neural network language model based on evolution strategy (SLT2016)
- Representation Learning using Multi-Task Deep Neural Nets for Semantic Classification & IR (NAACL2015)
- Learning to Translate with Multiple Objectives (ACL2012)
- Learning to Rank with Partially-Labeled Data (SIGIR2008)
- Area Chair for NAACL 2018, COLING 2018. Please submit your research papers!
- Program Chair of EMNLP 2016 (with Xavier Carreras); Check out the talk videos.
- SCALE'18 Workshop on Resilient Machine Translation for New Domains
To prospective students: Thanks for your interest! I am not able to reply to your inquiries individually, due to the large volumes of email I receive ("email event horizon"). If you are seeking admission, please refer to the official CS admissions page. I am looking for motivated students to work on neural machine translation and cross-lingual information retrieval; if these are of interest, please indicate my name and the topic on your application. I am also looking for a postdoc to help lead our NLP/IR efforts. Please email me if you are interested (application info here).