Courses & Technical Notes:
Machine Learning & Optimization
- Deep Learning: Short Course (2014); Deep Learning for Machine Translation; Theano tutorial
- Multiobjective optimization: a survey.
- Brief notes on: MCMC, Bundle methods
- Statistical Learning Course at the University of Washington, co-taugh with Prof. Mari Ostendorf (2008)
- Data Mining: frequent itemset, sequence mining, graph mining
Machine Translation & Natural Language Processing
- "Building a Phrase-based Machine Translation System" tutorial (co-taught with Graham Neubig). Slides are in bitext format! [English], [Japanese]
- Factored Language Models: Intro slides, Tech Report tutorial.
- Linguistics: Generative Lexicon, Languages of the World
Research Career Tips:I've been indebted to Rich Baraniuk's wonderful collection of advice since my undergrad years. Below is a selection of my favorites, including some newfound gems.
- You and Your Research by Richard Hamming.
- How to Have a Bad Career in Research/Academia by David A. Patterson.
- How to Read a Technical Paper by Jason Eisner.
- How to Be a Successful PhD Student (in CS) by Mark Dredze and Hanna Wallach.
- Preventing Repetitive Straing Injury (RSI) by Clay Scott.
- Deep Work by Cal Newport.
- PhD Comics -- actually this is not recommended for research productivity; but it's just too funny.